Alright…things have escalated quickly for us from a week ago. We noticed last night that Ben’s tiny red dot has become more prominent and it seems to be scabbing up a bit. I sent an email to our team in Montreal at bed-time last night, and I woke up with an answer this morning. I have been on the phone all day as people are working together (QUICKLY) to make this all happen. So here’s the deal:
We will fly out first thing Sunday morning. It will only be Benjamin and myself this time because only one parent is allowed due to COVID. We have a full day of pre-op clinic on Monday, then we will be having emergency surgery on Tuesday morning. I really have no idea what the surgery will entail. It was such a crazy, chaotic day that I didn’t really have a chance to ask. My guess is that our doctor will decide once he actually gets in there and starts poking around. It is actually not the screw that is causing us problems, but one of the rods. If you look at the xray, you can see the four screws on the bottom. Follow the rods up about an inch and you can see the tail of one of the upper rods pointing out a little. This is our problem. Every time Benjamin bends or moves, it is poking him from the inside out. So, today we made him either stand up straight or lie straight back. We are discouraging any movement that will put him in a hunched or bending motion. It’s times like these we miss our halo!
Anyways, that is all I know for now. For the next few days our goal is to not let the rod come through the skin (I can’t believe I am saying this…sober too!). If it does, our next big goal will be keeping it as clean as possible so it doesn’t get infected. I bought a tonne of first aid supplies for the next few days. UGHHHHH!!! I probably won’t update until after we get there and do our pre-op clinic as I have a tonne of stuff to do before then.